Sunday, January 20, 2013

Heat, Ice, or Neither?

A change in temperature can be very helpful for chronic pain. For some injuries, of course, there is a prescribed routine, ice for so many hours and then heat. For chronic pain, it sometimes is simply a matter of which one feels better.

I always choose heat. For whatever reason, my body responds well to heat, whereas I have an adverse reaction to cold. I've had physical therapists and doctors who have been surprised at this response. They have felt sure that under certain circumstances anyone would prefer cold. Being a good sport, I've followed their suggestions, only to reaffirm that I like heat. Cold just doesn't work for me unless we're talking about a new injury such as a sprained ankle. For chronic pain, I'll take heat every time.

Others may prefer cold, or a variation of temperatures. The important thing here is the idea that temperature can be our friend as we deal with chronic pain. Experimenting with what works can result in some much needed temporary relief. Of course we want to verify with a professional that variation of temperature won't cause harm. However, once we get the go-ahead, we can add temperature as a valuable tool in managing chronic pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment