Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Inspiration

There's nothing like an inspirational story to lift the spirits. These stories can have many forms. They may be about people who are extraordinarily kind, people who overcome obstacles, or people who dedicate their lives to others, just to name a few. Sometimes inspiration comes from a fresh look at what we take for granted. One of my favorite stories was told to me by a good friend who lived in a small town on the East coast. Though quite small, the town had a significant international population due to both a college and a military institution located there.

My friend has always loved the outdoors and one Saturday she planned to spend the afternoon at a local creek. It was typical for the town, grass, flowing water, trees, ducks, and picnic benches. My friend invited her new friend, a classmate who happened to be from Afghanistan, to come along. She could tell that her new friend didn't quite understand what the planned activity was, but agreed to go anyway. When they arrived at the creek, the girl from Afghanistan gasped and said, 'You live in paradise!'

I love this story. What a take on something we consider so ordinary! It lifts my spirits and brings a smile to my face every time I think of it. It has changed forever every moment I spend outdoors, and even those I spend near a window looking out onto beautiful scenery. I know in a new way how lucky I am to be where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment