Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Free Your Spirit

The freer our spirit is, the freer we are to deal with chronic pain, or whatever other challenges we may face. Fortunately, freeing the spirit requires no adjustment in our circumstances. We don't have to move, change jobs, or partners to gain this sort of freedom because it is gained by looking within.

Freeing ourselves of the burdens we carry can start with some inner adjustments. There are two books that I have found extremely interesting when viewed in this light. The first is Lying by Sam Harris. Perhaps I was attracted to this book because years prior to reading it, I'd committed to not lying, not even those little white lies that seem to part of the fabric of our social lives. This does not mean I'd committed to being mean, as in 'that makes you look terrible.' Rather, I searched for and found ways of telling the truth while remaining equally committed to kindness. I was amazed at the freedom this afforded me. No worries about what I might have said to whom. I hadn't made a practice of lying prior to this time. Yet, still it was as if a fresh breeze blew through my life leaving me feeling lightened and free.

The second book I am currently reading. It is Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson. This is a look at why, once we've done something not so smart, we are inclined to dig our heels in and stick with it. In fact, our brain chemistry promotes this. It takes understanding and sometimes courage to go in the other direction. It doesn't always feel easy to say, "I'm sorry. I was wrong. I won't do it again." For some reason, we expect children to do this, but we tend to lose the habit as adults. Yet, how freeing it is, when appropriate, to say those words and move on. Burden released.

It would be hard to overestimate the impact of our inner life on our health and well-being. Our bodies and spirits are not separate entities. We are both and, so, one affects the other. Free your spirit and happily see the benefits that flow through your life!



No comments:

Post a Comment